Plants have a positive effect on people. But, especially in the cities, you can only find them in big stores, and you might not know how to take care of them properly or which one is better for your house. Eliza Blank grew up surrounded by plants thanks to her mother, and she was very passionate about them. That’s why she decided to create The Sill, a digitally native direct-to-consumer houseplant brand with the ambition to reconnect and teach people about plants in a different way. The Sill started small, but now has five stores in the country, and an online shop where you can find a collection of plants, sourced from local growers, with beautiful planters and care instructions for each one.
- Eliza has been surrounded by plants since childhood. Plants make people happy, but she realized that there weren’t many places to buy them, The Sill was her way to help people to reconnect and learn about plants easily.
- Her business was not an overnight success. Eliza worked hard to get The Sill going. Having your own business is about commitment, hard work, patience, and time. In the beginning, she did it all, even delivered the plants to her customers’ houses.
- Eliza had big plans for her company, and that meant she needed to find investors while she was pregnant. Eliza sees her investors as teammates: you need to find the ones that share your values. Her investors were very supportive, and it helped her to show them a business plan.
- You don’t have to choose! Eliza was worried before giving birth that she wouldn’t be as committed or in love with her work as she used to. But she discovered that you don’t have to choose motherhood over the business.
- Plant Parenthood: Eliza gives us some tips and recommendations for having your first plant, and shares the next steps for The Sill.